Sunday, August 30, 2026

"Kevin Cook" Buy the the man a [hot Dog] some therapy time

Title: A Hot Dog, a Witness, and a County Commissioner


I pulled up to talk to my county commissioner. That is supposed to be an ordinary thing in Shawnee County. You have a question. You see the man who holds the office. You roll the window down, or you step out, and you talk.

What I did not expect was to be accused of electioneering.

I might have bought somebody a hot dog.

That sentence still makes me pause, not because a hot dog is a scandal, but because of how quickly a simple conversation was turned into a crime scene. Kansas is not vague about electioneering. The statute is about polling places and advance voting sites. Two hundred and fifty feet. Campaign materials. An attempt to persuade voters where they vote. A class C misdemeanor if you do it there.

A hot dog, purchased somewhere that is not a polling place, is a hot dog. If mustard has become a campaign contribution, someone should send a memo to the Governmental Ethics Commission before the next county fair.

I was running at the time — for county commissioner against Kevin Cook in 2024, and later for mayor. The office on the yard sign is not the point. The point is what happened when a constituent showed up.

I was not alone. I had a passenger. He is the sort of man who does not let people get under his skin. Even-keeled. Unimpressed by theater. He sat in that car and watched a public official come at me with a tone so sharp, and a posture so aggressive, that the veins stood out in his neck.

It was not anything I said. It was my presence.

That is the part the press conference never covers. The public version of Kevin Cook is the man on the morning show talking about parks, mental health, and momentum. Fair enough. Those are the talking points. What my friend saw was something else: how fast the temperature rises when the wrong person appears in the wrong parking lot.

I have thought about that day more than I wanted to. Not because I need a grudge. Grudges are expensive and they do not pave a road. I have thought about it because temperament is part of the job description, whether anyone prints it on the ballot or not. Constituents will show up. Opponents will show up. People you do not care for will show up. The work is to keep the voice even and the veins down.

If mere arrival is enough to produce that kind of anger, the public is entitled to a fuller picture than the one that fits in a thirty-second clip.

My friend has no interest in politics as sport. He does not perform outrage. He does not need a headline. He simply watched a man snap. I do not think most people in this county have seen that version. He and I have.

I am trying, these days, to say hard things without raising my own voice. So I will leave it here: public office is not a private club. If a conversation with a constituent — and possibly a hot dog — can do that to a man, the hot dog is not the story.

The story is the snap.

Henry McClure
Time kills deals
785-383-9994 · www.henrymcclure.live

No comments: