Thursday, August 6, 2026

Ty has the nomination. Now it’s about winning the state. Calling Philip today and making that offer would be a smart, strong move. I hope he does it.

A Few Thoughts After the Primary

I watched the returns the other night and I’ll be honest — I was a little surprised Curt Skoog didn’t do better on the Democratic side. He’s been mayor of Overland Park a good while and I figured he’d pull more votes than he did. Instead, Cindy Holscher from Overland Park came out on top. She’s the one staring us in the face now for November.

Ty Masterson won the Republican primary. It is what it is. I was a Philip Sarnecki supporter and I still am. Philip ran a strong race as a businessman and outsider who understands how to build something and make it work. A lot of good people backed him for the same reasons I did.

What would help Ty the most right now is simple: reach out to Philip today. Not next week. Today. Ask for his help — not just in winning the governor’s race, but ask him to take the Department of Administration if Ty wins. That job is about running the day-to-day machinery of state government. Philip has built companies that employ hundreds of people, managed big operations, and focused on results instead of politics. Putting someone with that kind of experience in charge of how the state spends money, buys things, and manages its own house would send a clear message.

It would also bring people together. Primary fights leave bruises. Reaching out to Philip and offering him a real seat at the table would tell the folks who voted for him that their voice still matters. It would show conservatives across Kansas that this campaign is serious about cleaning up waste, getting value for every tax dollar, and putting competent people in charge instead of the usual revolving door. That kind of unity and seriousness can tip the scales when you’re up against a well-funded Democrat from Johnson County who will run hard until the end.

Ty has the nomination. Now it’s about winning the state. Calling Philip today and making that offer would be a smart, strong move. I hope he does it.

Henry McClure Topeka

No comments: